Thursday, April 18, 2013

It has been a while since I have posted last but here is my update.  My starts are doing very well except for the herbs.  None of the herbs have grown and it has been long enough that I believe they won't start.  So that will be some plants that I buy instead of start from seed.  There is something satisfying to me to start my garden from seed and not starts (though there are certain plants like herbs and cucumber that I will only do starts due to bad luck).
I bought a flower pack from Costco and hope to get that planted soon.  It is for the shade garden and has hosta's, columbine (red and white), and astilbe (red).  I want to wait a few more days to see how many of my hosta's from last year come back.
Now the photo update:
I want people to know that everything I do with my garden is trail and error.  Here is one of my beds.  Being that I don't use round-up in the garden I need to be on top of weeding, this is what happens when you get behind.  There is buttercup, dandelions, thistle and grass.  Nothing easy to get rid of.  This coming fall/winter I may try covering the beds to see if I can deprive the weeds light, it will be worth a try.
                               

This is my strawberry, another plant that I don't have good success in when I try to grow it from plain crowns, this is mine I got a few years ago, the new crowns I planted this year have done nothing.
To the right is my raspberry.  I didn't cut any of the canes back and I have grass growing in the pot so I need to figure out what to do to make sure it doesn't get overrun.

 A photo looking towards the house.  My lettuce, cabbage, kale and mustard are in the bed on the right.

  
My potatoes just started to pop.  A side note, these photos were taken on Monday, since we have had 2 frost and the potatoes didn't fare so well.  We will see how they do.


         
A photo of my maybe future gardner and my dog Smokey walking off to see the neighbor cows.








Lastly for today, my "salad garden" both tucked in and untucked their floating row cover (they did great with the frost).  There are even bigger now.



Good night everyone.  More posts next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment